Wednesday, April 18, 2018

I am not on the Keto diet


But since I'm going low carb for the time being, I've been googling Keto recipes, and found this Cheese Crusted Keto Quiche last Saturday morning. I wanted something really delicious and satisfying. What ho! It was incredibly delicious and satisfying. I tweaked the recipe a little bit (of course) because I had no ham, but it turned out really well.


The Ketogenic Diet is not new, by the way. It's been around since the 1920s, apparently, when it was used to treat epilepsy.

But back to the quiche. You may follow the recipe link, above, but this is how I tweaked mine. First, I lined a 10" quiche plate with slices of Swiss cheese, marble cheese and medium cheddar cheese. Then I baked the crust till it was brown and bubbly. I did not photograph the baked crust (sorry). You can see gaps in the Swiss cheese lining the sides. Next time I would overlap them. You can never have too much Swiss cheese.

Into this lovely crispy baked crust, I added chopped spinach and kale and 1 green onion. (The amount of greens is up to you. I probably used between 1-2 cups; didn't measure).



To the greens I added 3/4 cup of cubed Feta cheese, and 3/4 cup of crumbled bacon (we buy this in bulk at Costco) but you can use any meat.



On top of that, more cheddar cheese (1 cup shredded), and a little bit (didn't measure--let's say a "generous sprinkle") of flaked Parmesan:


Then, the egg and cream mixture. I used whipping cream, because that's what we had in the house (birthday party); I'm sure you could use a lower fat cream or milk (but why would you? haha):



For seasoning, I added a Cajun mix (hot but not too hot--Keg Steakhouse brand), some freshly ground black pepper, and a sprinkle of dried parsley. I did NOT add salt because there was enough in the cheeses and bacon. Then I baked it (see recipe link, above). This is the finished product. It looks good enough to eat. It was.




I had sort of planned to eat one or two pieces and save the rest for easy breakfast portions throughout the week, but everyone wanted to try it (I had two extra daughters home for the weekend) and it disappeared fairly quickly. The kids were raving about it, so I didn't bother telling them it was low-carb.

I am now into Day 9 of my no-sugar, low-carb experiment and so far, I have dropped 6.6 pounds (no exercise, other than dashing around my house and music festival), and more importantly, I feel FANTASTIC. I was having terrible mood swings, but lately everything has been much more even-keeled. And it feels great. I have lots of energy, even though my sleep patterns are a bit off.
#FeelingGrateful.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment