Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fasting and all that jazz

I hope we at DOH have found a new friend, as well as an inspiring blog. "What Are We Waiting For?" by the Anonymous Catholic Housewife. 


Here's just a snippet from her post about fasting: 


Does anyone enjoy it? I suspect not. Though it is definitely exciting to see the hand of God at work.
What struck me, though, is that fasting is the perfect prayer for busy people, because it takes no time at all. You don't have to sit down and devote time to praying. You don't have to try to fit it into your routine before you go to sleep. The only thing you need to do is remember to fast (which is sometimes harder than you'd think).
I sometimes feel like I don't have time to pray. I sometimes feel like I don't have time to listen to CDs on Catholicism. I sometimes feel like I don't even have time to watch something inspiring on EWTN! (None of it is true, of course. I just don't make time for these things).
But one can't say he doesn't have time for fasting.


No, indeed. And boy, do I know what she means by 'remembering' to fast. Because (as I commented on her blog), as a full-time homemaker, with all-too-easy access to food all day (and usually no one to see me snacking, if I'm sneaky enough), it's easy to get into the habit of eating on auto-pilot. Sometimes I find myself putting things into my mouth without even knowing what they are. (Sad, I know) And I have the 30 extra pounds to prove it. But the lovely thing about Lent, if you are willing to embrace it, is that it is there to save us from our worst selves, and turn us into something more resembling Christ. 


Thanks for the inspiration, ACH! (Hey, that's as good an acronym as DOH, and sounds equally ejaculatory--in the literary sense of course). 
.

2 comments: