Friday, September 10, 2010

If I loved Jane Austen adaptations less, I might be able to blog about them more.

I have just finished watching the latest adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma. I think I like it even better than the 1996 A&E production starring Kate Beckinsale, although I haven't seen that one in a few years so it's hard to judge.

As every woman who loves them knows, a period drama can be measured by the quality of its proposal scene (which you shouldn't watch if you haven't seen the film yet and don't want to spoil it):



Now, lovely as this is, I still got a little chuckle from Mr. Knightley's gentle heads up that he is going to be one of those less communicative husbands when it comes to relationship issues: "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more." I can just see where this is going:
"If I didn't think you were so beautiful, I'd have to tell you so more."
"If your cooking wasn't so wonderful, I'd have to compliment it more."
"If you weren't such a great housekeeper, I'd have to drop my socks in the hamper more."
It's because he wants to watch period dramas with you so much that he can't bear to watch them with you more!

1 comment:

  1. After a quarter century of marriage, I am finally able to see Mr. Pinkerton's habitual restraint in a whole new light.

    ReplyDelete