Tuesday, February 6, 2018

I can tolerate the buzzing and popping





But the dizziness is a bit much. Yes, people, I'm still sick. But it's not the flu. It's severe sinusitis (read all about it here, if you care to.) Also called "rhinosinusitis," hence the cartoon. But the last three weeks have been anything but funny. I've experienced a wide range of symptoms, including headaches that have lasted for days on end, face pain, tooth pain, body aches (?), fever, chills, phlegmy cough, runny nose, ticklish throat, loss of sense of taste and smell, nasal congestion, dizziness, buzzing in my ears, and the feeling of having a heavy or "pressurized" head.


I've been on bed rest, fluids, NyQuil, antibiotics (which caused diarrhea--oh joy), Neo Citran (sinus), nasal sprays and inhalers (I also have mild yet chronic asthma). For some strange reason, I thought I'd be up and about within a week of getting sick (I'm used to things like colds, and 24-hour stomach flu), but this is a bit much. Now I'm reading that this sort of thing can last 12 weeks. Yikes, that's 3 months! I'm not going to stand for that. Actually, I can't seem to stand for any length of time.


This virus (or bacterial infection) now seems lodged in my ears: they feel blocked, they buzz constantly, and pop intermittently. I don't know whether to head back to the doctor (I envision getting 4 or 5 more prescriptions if I go that route) or try something more natural, or just keep drinking tea and wait it out. I'm slowly starting to function, and trying to be optimistic. Those who know me also know that I gravitate towards being paranoid about worst possible scenarios. To wit:
In extreme cases the patient may experience mild personality changes, headache, altered consciousness, visual problems, seizures, coma and possibly death.
Let us hope not. There is simply too much to do.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment