Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Get. A. Life. (Tears and shivers optional)

Really.


A user named Mike wrote on the fan Web site "Naviblue" that he contemplated suicide after seeing the movie."Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "

And another testimony, from Ivar Hill, a.k.a. "Eltu":

"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning," Hill wrote on the forum. "It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world."
Reached via e-mail in Sweden where he is studying game design, Hill, 17, explained that his feelings of despair made him desperately want to escape reality.
...which pretty much explains it. Like that guy in that Christmas movie said, "If they would rather die... they had better do it and decrease the surplus population."
The whole article at CNN.

No, OF COURSE I'm not advocating suicide, much less teen suicide. This article makes me feel really sad, and it makes me wonder: where are/were the parents of these children? How empty and shallow can your life be if you invest everything in a stupid movie? (I guess any number of Hollywood executives could answer that question.) Do I really need to preach about how the West has lost its spiritual foundation? The good news is, there really is a perfect paradise after this life, and there is a Way that leads there, no matter how much post-mods scoffs at the notion.

Offering a prayer for all Avatar orphans, wherever they may be...

1 comment:

  1. Just going out on a vividly colored limb, here, but I would guess these guys have had some symptoms of depression or some other mental illness long before they donned the 3-D glasses. As Mr. Beazly says, "If they kill themselves now, don't they realize they won't get to see the next awesome 3-D blockbuster?"

    ReplyDelete