Wednesday, March 20, 2013

It's spring, dammit!

And yet, it is SO not. Here is the weather for my region today (but I see they forgot to mention the part about -25 C wind chill, which is also in the forecast). Oh, and the "afternoon" part is also a little off; the wind started howling here about 8:00 a.m.


3:46 AM CST Wednesday 20 March 2013 Winter storm warning 
 Snow, very strong winds and blowing snow late afternoon and tonight.
This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions...Listen for updated statements.A powerful storm forecast to develop in Alberta today and will lead to deteriorating weather conditions throughout the day in Western Saskatchewan. Southeast winds are forecast to gradually strengthen over all of Western Saskatchewan today, with winds 40 km/h gusting to 80 km/h by late afternoon. Visibility will deteriorate throughout the day as blowing snow becomes more prevalent, with hazardous driving conditions due to poor visibility and slippery roads expected to be widespread throughout the area. As snow pushes into West-Central Saskatchewan towards evening near blizzard conditions with near-zero visibility will develop.
 Conditions will improve Thursday morning. 
Yeah, thanks a heap, Mother Nature! Today is music lesson day, not tomorrow (we're supposed to drive a 40 mile round trip, but I'm not driving* in ANY more blizzards. Cheating death once per season is enough for me). Where is that darn global warming we keep hearing about? I declare, some of the snow in our yard will not melt till June.

Here is a picture of my driveway.



Here are three photos of the rose bush outside my living room window (note for scale: the hedge in the background is up to my chest in height, and I am 5' 3").

October, 2012


December, 2012


March 19, 2013 (yesterday)

And now, back to checking the hot water heater, which has died TWICE three times in the last 24 hours (once before the plumber came, and once twice after). How can you tell Mr. Pinkerton is gone on a week-long business trip?

*Update: vindicated. At the exact time at which I would have been returning home from music lessons, I checked the highway hotline for my route: Travel Not Recommended, Icy or Slippery Sections, Snow Drifts, Drifting Snow, Reduced visibility.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment