Friday, October 5, 2012

TGIFWTA: Beards of Wonder

 Goodbye to the lovely warm weather we enjoyed all through September. The temps have been dropping, and the cold wind has been blowing. Among other harsh realities (the unpacking of the boots, scarves and mittens), we are faced--literally--in the Pinkerton household with Mr. P's annual Growing of the Beard. 

But this has the potential to change everything: the Beard Hat.

Mr. P. grows a beard every winter not to be cool, but for precisely the opposite reason. He walks (a goodly jaunt) to work, and the beard keeps his face and neck warm. But aesthetically (and in other ways too) it doesn't really work for me.

This, despite my love for the Avett Brothers and their Beards of Wonder...














"I wonder which brother is better / Which one our parents loved the most /  
I sure did get in lots of trouble / They seemed to let the other go..." 

 Murder in the City:  Best. Video. Ever.



I even found one of the normally relatively-clean-shaven Bob the Bassist 



with a reasonable facsimile of facial hair
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Anyway, what was I talking about again? Oh yes, Mr. Pinkerton's beard. While I am all in favour of husbands having beards at this stage (for looks anyway--they get pretty scratchy on contact): 



...I get kind of tired of beards when they get to the Old Testament Patriarch stage: 

Not, of course that Mr. P's beard ever gets to this length or bushiness, but let's just say I prefer him clean-shaven. So, back to the Beard Hat. Maybe I can get one of the Misses Pinkerton to crochet him one, if he'll agree to wear it. 

Failing that, I will ask Mr. P, yet again, if he would mind learning to play the banjo. 
.

1 comment: