Thursday, May 23, 2013

I am making this recipe, if only for the name.


Rabarbrakake  (Norwegian rhubarb cake)

And if it's tasty, I will rejoice, because:

1) I don't particularly care for rhubarb, and never have (I think I suffered too much childhood trauma from Auntie A, who made rhubarb pie without an adequate amount of sugar.)
2) It grows in my garden. And how. (I did not plant it.)
3) I'm enough of an old-school mom (and raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression) that I cannot possibly NOT use the rhubarb from my garden, much less uproot the plant and kill it.
4) Other people in my family like rhubarb

  Recipe found, of course, at Nordic Thoughts, which also has some great rhubarb art. (I wish IKEA would carry this gorgeous fabric. Fun bedroom curtains, anyone? So pretty!)




Anyhoo, here's the cake recipe:

1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 eggs
1 cup sugar, plus 1-2 tablespoons for rhubarb
1/4 cup melted butter, plus more for cake pan
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 large stalks rhubarb 


Preparation Instructions: 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 inch round
cake pan. Slice rhubarb stalks into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle them
with 1-2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside. In a small bowl, sift together flour,
 baking powder and spices. In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs with 1 cup sugar until
pale and fluffy. Add almond extract, melted butter, and milk and stir until well
mixed. Stir in flour mixture and stir until smooth. Pour batter into cake pan and
scatter the rhubarb pieces over the top. Optional: sprinkle with coarse 
sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 
into the center comes out clean.

 

Nordic Thoughts found the recipe here:  The Spice House

No comments:

Post a Comment