Sunday, July 17, 2011

Flannery Quotation of the Day

"When I ask myself how I know I believe, I have no satisfactory answer at all, no assurance at all, no feeling at all. I can only say with Peter, Lord I believe, help my unbelief. And all I can say about my love of God, is, Lord help me in my lack of it. I distrust pious phrases, particularly when they issue from my mouth. I try militantly never to be affected by the pious language of the faithful but it is always coming out when you least expect it. In contrast to the pious language of the faithful, the liturgy is beautifully flat."

.

1 comment:

  1. Well, she'd be turning in her grave about now, thanks to Carey Landry, Marty Haugen, David Haas, and their ilk. What I wouldn't give to read a Flannery description of liturgical dance.

    In those days, the liturgy was about the mystery and worship of God or something crazy like that. Now it has to be This Hour Has Buckets o' Fun!

    ReplyDelete