Thursday, August 31, 2017

I'm ready to have my maternal senses soothed.


I just love antique architecture, not least because back then, they knew how to design homes for families, and they didn't mess around with ridiculously large Master suites that take up half the second floor. I really love Colonial, but this 1920s design is fabulous too. Third floor attic playroom for the kids/grandchildren? Yes, please! 


This comes from the 1920's brochure describing the design: 
"All mothers should be free from those things which disturb and distress. [Amen, brother!] They should at all times feel a sense of restfulness, serenity, peace and poise. Conditions for such a state of mind cannot be found in crowded districts, but rather in ideal private homes, in the The Winchester class, where only those influences are permitted which tend to satisfy and soothe the maternal senses."
This was back in the days when "poise" meant grace, elegance, composure and dignity, not incontinence pads.
.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled you're back and that I checked today.
    Re: the above house. My husband's cousin lives in a beautiful house that was ordered from Sears (US) catalogue in 1928 (I think. I can't remember the exact year). It's been lovingly restored and is really delightful. Such houses were delivered with everything, walls, floorboards, windows, screws, etc., all numbered and with instructions. It cost about $2500 at the time.
    How's grandparenting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I have been in a few of those Sears and Eaton's houses; those were the days of home-building! Being a grandma is more delightful than I could have imagined--much like motherhood!

      Delete