Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Sound of Musicals

For the last few weeks I have been enjoying the soundtracks to "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers", "Meet Me in St. Louis" and "Carousel". I watched "Carousel" last week, for the first time in many years. The songs are nothing short of brilliant. Take these verses from "Soliloquy":

And I'm hanged if he'll marry his boss' daughter
A skinny-lipped lady with blood like water
Who'll give him a peck
And call it a kiss
And look in his eyes through a lorgnette...

Say, why am I takin' on like this?
My kid ain't even been born yet!

 
Lorgnette. Born yet. Oscar Hammerstein was a genius.

What I can't figure out are the parts in between the songs. It's not like there was no story to go on - Ferenc Molnar's Liliom sounds like an interesting play, but this big screen adaptation falls a little flat for me. And the dialogue about a slap from your man feeling like a kiss...Buh? Still, I'm glad "Carousel" was made, or Rodgers and Hammerstein might never have given this to the world:

No comments:

Post a Comment