Monday, September 6, 2010

Your Duh-ly Newsflash: Conservatives have no use for conservatives

Andrea at PWPL muses upon that persona non grata, the "social conservative", and a couple of journalists who seem to think they have provided some kind of revelation to pro-life voters.  Sorry, guys, we've known for a long time that there is no mainstream political party that is friendly to conservatives. All we try to do is, as Andrea says, "go where you get the better hearing". In ridings where I've lived that has sometimes meant voting Conservative, but that doesn't mean I'm under any illusion that the Conservatives are our saviors and that they will always do what is right. I don't believe that about any party or politician.

I think the only people who are continually "being had" are the ones who trust government to rid our society of its ills, whatever they perceive those to be. It's not social conservatives who are putting their faith in the idea that overeating, smoking, or hateful thoughts can be legislated out of existence by various levels of government. Government can't even bring my mail to the right address, so I think the profound change of heart required to make abortion unthinkable is a bit beyond them.

That's not to say that it doesn't matter one way or another whether Canada funds abortions in foreign lands. It matters very much, and I'm sorry to see my tax dollars helping to spread the scourge of abortion to other nations. But I'm not surprised. We won't have good policies or just laws when the people who are making them care more about being in power than they care about anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment