Thursday, March 15, 2018

My life is like a movie!


Unfortunately, the movie is Napoleon Dynamite. This actually happened to me recently.



Yes, Middle Age Brain strikes again (actually, I'm past middle age, since I don't think it's likely I'll live past 100, but that's neither here nor there. I still feel too young to call myself a 'senior'). I was at a small-town grocery store, having dashed inside to buy two (literally two) items. $44 later, I zipped open my purse to see... no wallet. Of course. I had put it in the side pocket of my gym bag the previous morning, and had forgotten to replace it. No cards, no cash, no knowledge of how to use my smartphone to pay for stuff (IS there such an app? I don't even know. Probably, but I'm old.)

Luckily, I had my bulging little change purse, and if there is anything I don't do often enough, it's empty my change purse. I decided to pay with "loonies" and "toonies" ($1 and $2 Canadian coins).



I got as far as $37, and that was that. The kindly clerk said she would ring in the entire amount ($44) and that I could bring the rest back the next day. Did I mention she didn't know me from Adam? Or Eve? However, I must have looked suitably pathetic (and trustworthy) because she let me walk out with $7 of my groceries unpaid for. Fortunately, when I got to the car, I remembered hubby also has a little stash of coins which he uses at the coin-op carwash (sorry, Hon). So I ran back into the store to square my debt.

It restores one's faith in humanity. My memory, not so much. Must go put wallet back into purse now.




Scale: our quarters, nickels and dimes are the same size as U.S. coins of that ilk.
So are the pennies, but we don't use them anymore. 

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I went to IKEA once and walked out without paying for a $150 piece of furniture (I have no idea how?). I happened to be cleaning out my wallet three months later and noticed that piece of furniture wasn't on the receipt (I have no idea how I even remembered...but I did). The folks at IKEA couldn't believe I'd come back to pay - the front line guy had to get the back manager - and didn't know what to do. They were, however, happy that I came back that they charged me the full price and then gave me half of it back on a gift receipt. All around, a good day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Sarah! I like that story. Honesty always pays. ALWAYS! :)

    ReplyDelete