Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Easy and tasty Greek ribs recipe


But, as is my wont, I altered it for various reasons. I had never made Greek ribs before, but decided to give these a try. I made them last Sunday, which I should hardly be admitting. Even though every Sunday is a "little Easter", I still think this kind of fare is too fancy for the Lenten season. However, I justified it because I forgot to take anything out of the freezer Saturday night, and ribs were the only thing that would thaw in time for me to cook Sunday supper.  (Mr. P. is a dyed-in-the-wool carnivore, if you'll forgive my clashing metaphor, and, like Mrs. Mawmsey and her strengthening medicine, he must have his meat.) Someday I'd like to try giving up meat for the entirety of Lent, but I doubt I could convince anyone else in my family to try that.

And no, I did not take a photo. I suppose I should have, but that would not necessarily convince anyone that this tastes good. The recipe comes from Food.com, and it was contributed by someone named "Karen," though it is not any Karen that I know. I used about 5 pounds of ribs, and doubled the sauce/marinade recipe, because I used a rather large roasting pan. My additional notes will appear in red. 

Greek Ribs
Ingredients
3 lbs pork back ribs
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon rind (I omitted this, because I had no lemons)
1/3 cup lemon juice (I used bottled)
1/4 cup grated onion (I used dried, so reduced the amount)
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons liquid honey
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper (I also used lemon pepper, to more or less make up for the missing rind)

Directions
  1. Cut pork into individual ribs, trimming off fat.
  2. In small bowl, whisk together lemon rind and juice,onion,oregano,oil,honey,garlic powder,salt and pepper; pour into large plastic bag.
  3. Add pork ribs, turning to coat; seal bag tightly.
  4. Refrigerate, turning bag occasionally, for at least 8 hours or for up to 24 hours. (Skipped this step. I just put them right into the roasting pan, but not on a rack.)
  5. Arrange ribs on rack in large foil-lined roasting pan; pour marinade all over ribs.
  6. Roast in 400F oven for 10 mins.
  7. Reduce oven temp to 375F; roast, turning once and basting occasionally with marinade, for 1 hour or until meat is tender enough to almost fall off bone. (I didn't turn them [laziness] or baste them [because they were sitting in the marinade]. I think this last direction is kind of funny. Just how do you judge that meat is tender enough to "almost fall off the bone"? That's like giving directions and saying, "Turn left, two blocks before the corner where the church is.") 

Anyway, they were very tasty. I think the honey is the secret to the sauce being just right. 

Bon appétit!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment