Thursday, March 5, 2015

I like it when I accidentally say the same thing as a smart person


In fact, I feel downright affirmed. 

I eat donuts and do not feel guilty.

I eat quinoa salad and do not feel righteous. 
I generally dislike the saying, but in this case, it applies: "It's all good"


Mr. Warren weighs in (pardon the usage) on the evils of the diet and food-research/health industries:
What [researchers] have done is far more evil than this, however: for they have been exploiting the human propensity to guilt, which serves an irreplaceable purpose in the moral order. Compunction about sin and wrongdoing is distracted to meaningless dietary issues. The success of the nannying public health authorities has helped the principalities and powers to accomplish a complete moral inversion — in which abstinence and fasting to a spiritual end is now dismissed as silly, yet dieting for health is done with insufferably morbid gravity. We have, as a consequence, a society of obsessive dieters, deluded fitness fanatics, and low-calorie muffin eaters, who are utterly shameless in committing crimes contra naturam: that Culture of Death which Saint John-Paul identified with such harrowing accuracy.

Mr. Warren describes most "health" related research as "bullsh**", and I am inclined to agree. In the last few years, I've had two health scares, neither of which (thankfully) turned out to be anything serious, but in both cases, I was advised to alter my diet. What made life more difficult was not adjusting to eating (or avoiding) certain stuff, but rather constantly reading conflicting and contradictory information about various foods.

 It would seem that grocery science isn't any more settled than climate science. I more or less gave up worrying about food, and wrote about it for The Record. Mind you, I am not judging people on special diets; eat what you choose, but for pity's sake, don't make it a religion.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment