Saturday, June 1, 2013

More political incorrectness from Houzz.com

Why men really do need a cave. Why, this article seems to assume that men and women are different! Ye gods, what would 1970s era sociology professors say? Especially about an article that begins with sexist terminology and assumptions (women ladies are emotional/hysterical)? 

"Calm down, ladies," writes author Mitchell Parker. Calm down! What do you mean, Calm down! I...
Oh wait, what were we talking about again? Oh yes, men need their own space. Even the lady female designers agree.  
“There’s an old saying that a man’s house is his castle" says Ginny Snook Scott, chief design officer of California Closets. "No. A woman’s house is the castle. The garage is the man’s castle.” 
To this day, I feel guilty that Mr. P converted our double attached garage into living space. My only consolation was that I was agin the idea, but he insisted (it ended up being cheaper than building an addition). I was sorry enough to lose the garage (unloading groceries and babies in the rain or snow?) but I'm sure he suffered greatly too. 

For some time, he had no place to call his own, except the furnace room, and that's just sad, if not downright Dickensian. (Though I never heard him croon "Where is Love?" whilst he was puttering down there.) A few summers ago, he put up a small garden shed, which also serves as his shop, and he spends many happy, productive hours there. I go in there too occasionally, because that's where the  garden tools are stored. But now I realize I ought to have no say in how they are arranged. Mr. Parker writes: 
When it comes to designing and outfitting a man cave... it's extremely important that there is no compromise. (Shall I repeat that, ladies? No compromise!)
Again with the ladies! OK, message received. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment