Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Philosopher Butcher


The thing about being Catholic, whether we are butchers, bakers, or candlestick makers... or moms or seamstresses or doctors or professors or used car salesmen or CEOs of multinational corporations, we are all supposed to be, at some level, philosophers and theologians. I don't know if this guy is Catholic, but he sure talks like one. And he gets the meaning of food. It's sacramental. Weight loss gurus who say "food is fuel" (and I have heard even Catholic ones say this) are puritans. I once said it, but I know better now. In fact, I knew better many years ago, when my dad told me that food was sacramental. I was a teenager on a wacky diet but that is a story for another day. Maybe it will go into one of the books I've been writing (not) for the last 20 years.

And suddenly, I want to go to Italy and drink wine and eat marinated meat... but not raw.



H/t my niece Mrs. R.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment